Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Snarky in Singapore?

I don't know how I missed this for months, but this sign, which is in all the MRT stations in Singapore, subtly makes fun of Singapore's (now relaxed) chewing gum ban. You can't tell from this photo, and nobody can draw in Singapore, but the item on the left is a pack of chewing gum. (Also, how would a Singaporean sign artist know what chewing gum looks like?) To make up for the lack of artistry, it is labeled "CHEWING GUM."

Other things I noticed:

  • Chewing gum is not normally subject to "eating" or "drinking"
  • I thought the fine was different for food and drink vs. chewing gum.
  • This is obviously biased against clueless westerners; hamburgers are not local food.
  • For that matter, beverages to go are normally packaged in plastic bags, not cardboard cups like the one depicted.
  • I need to find other things to do with my brain next time I take the MRT.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home