Sunday, June 19, 2005

Training to run: Pain, but not excruciating pain

On Wednesday, I got some new running shoes (actually the link goes to the replacement for the discontinued model I got, and ran for 16 whole minutes. It was excruciatingly painful after a few minutes, and the pain lasted through Saturday. I found it hard to believe that people run for fun.

I was reminded of the triathletes who I helped at Chain Reaction who started their bike shopping by telling me how much they hate cycling. (Hint to triathletes: a bicycle shop is not the best place in the world to declare how much you hate the sport of cycling, especially to the staff who are the kind of people who are quite likely to enjoy riding bikes.) What kind of attitude is it to approach running with an attitude of, "I hate this"?

So I thought I would try again today, increasing my time to 24 whole minutes. I even warmed up today, instead of just starting my run at race speed up the hill that leads to the main road. It was not as painful. Certainly not excruciatingly painful, and the pain was limited.

Tonight, I am only in pain when I walk. I bet that's the ibuprofen I took as soon as I got home helping me out. Can you believe they hold triathlons in Singapore and ibuprofen isn't available over the counter?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home